IFMK’s Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) practice not only assists clients directly with MSP compliance, but we also identify and manage potential Medicare exposures that can stem from non-compliance. Our attorneys advocate for our clients in defending, mitigating and resolving MSP issues.
We recommend Medicare evaluations at the initial onset of all claims in order to determine if past and future medical expenses may create potential exposure. Our MSP practice attorneys have successfully helped clients avoid post-settlement reimbursement to Medicare, as well as potential civil penalties and interest.
- Assessment of claims and pre-settlement or pre-trial planning to address potential exposure for past and future Medicare-related medical expenses
- Investigation, negotiation, and resolution with Medicare, where it has made conditional payments of past medical expenses
- Preparation and submission of Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements (WCMSAs or LMSAs) to obtain Medicare’s approval of low-cost settlement plans for future medical expenses
- Coordination of claimant administration or professional administration of Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements
- Coordination and planning for annuity-based funding of Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements
- Settlement planning and drafting of settlement documents to address potential Medicare exposures
- Coordination and implementation of Mandatory Insurer Reporting programs in compliance with federal laws
- Coordination and development of in-house protocols for insured and self-insured Medicare Secondary Payer compliance programs
Our IFMK attorney who leads this practice is an experienced litigator, known in the Medicare arena as a frequent lecturer at national seminars, professional and bar association programs, community and civic organizations, and industry programs focused on Medicare issues.